Sandpoint Community  Resource Center

Bridging the gap between people in need and those who serve

Call for Help

(208) 920-1840

Community Assistance

Community Assistance


Crisis Connections

North Idaho Crisis Services


Finding Shelter

In Bonner County, the need is rising for people seeking emergency shelter. Although these resources may be limited and difficult to access at times, SCRC can assist in connecting people with these resources.



Bonner Gospel Mission

455 Triangle Drive, Ponderay (208) 263-6698

For men, eighteen and over, space usually is available for an initial stay of five days, but an extension may be requested. Residents need to comply with certain rules such as submitting to alcohol and drug testing, complying with curfew and actively seeking employment. No guns.

Priest River Ministries

Priest River If you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or trafficking, Priest River Ministries (PRM) provides emergency housing and a 24/7 hotline (208-290-6529). Depending upon availability, PRM may also have housing available for families that are in crisis (208-448-2800).


Other Domestic Violence Options:

VAST Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-208-265-3586

North Idaho Crisis Services – 208-946-5595 (5 PM to 8 AM, Monday – Thursday and Friday 5 PM through Monday 8 AM)


Freedom House

When fully implemented, female clients will spend 60 days (120 days for women) in a residential “program house” where they will begin the path to recovery through SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) and IDOC recognized, evidence-based cognitive behavior modification and personal accountability counseling programs presented from a biblical perspective.


Bonner Homeless Transitions

Sandpoint (208) 265-2952

BHT (formerly TIPS) is a transitional housing facility for single women, men or women with children, or 2-parent families with children. This is a long term housing program, not a temporary shelter.


At this time, there are little, if any, additional resources available for families, women and children seeking emergency shelter in our community.

Union Gospel Mission

1224 Trent Ave., Spokane (509) 535-8510

The Mission in Spokane has made an extraordinary commitment to not turn away anyone in an emergency situation so long as the individual has not created problems in the past at the Mission, and is not under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.


St. Vincent De Paul

201 E. Harrison, Coeur d’Alene (208) 664-3095

St. Vincent de Paul provides emergency shelter for both men and women. The shelter does not keep a waiting list. Instead, beds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. This shelter has twelve beds.


House of Charity

32 W. Pacific, Spokane (509 624-7821

Accepts men in any condition, including the mentally ill and intoxicated.  Evening hour begins at 6:30 p.m. for overnight stay.

Union Gospel Mission

196 W. Haycraft Ave., Coeur d’Alene (208) 665-4673

Call first for requirements, confirmation of availability and check-in time.


St. Vincent de Paul

201 E. Harrison, Coeur d’Alene (208) 664-3095

St. Vincent de Paul provides emergency shelter for both men and women. The shelter does not keep a waiting list. Instead, beds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. This shelter has twelve beds.


St Vincent de Paul will open a warming center for homeless individuals during bouts of extreme cold this winter. The warming center will be active between Nov. 1, 2017 and Feb. 28, 2018.

“We are pleased to offer this necessary service to help some of the most vulnerable people during harsh weather,” said Jeff Conroy, Executive Director of St Vincent de Paul North Idaho, in a press release. “In planning for the harsh weather we must consider the homeless and their safety.”

Once temperatures fall below 28 degrees, the Post Falls Shelter will be activated. The center is at 202 W. 7th Street in Post Falls, in the Kamps Apartment basement. Transportation will leave from the St Vincent de Paul Father Bill’s Kitchen at 6:30pm on nights the center is open and will transport back the next morning.

The warming center can accommodate 45 individuals and will have sleeping bags, blankets, gloves, stocking caps and coats, as well as a full bathroom, warm food and drinks. The Coeur d’Alene site will be used as overflow.

Offered in addition to St Vincent de Paul’s regular homeless shelters, the warming center will allow more people to get out of the cold. However, the center is not set up for regular housing.

Back to Menu

Heating Assistance

During the Winter Months


For many of us, winter can be a challenging time. Colder temperatures and shorter daylight hours result in higher utility bills and a greater need for heating sources. Depending upon your eligibility, help may be available:

Community Action Partnership (CAP) 208-255-2910

CAP offers several assistance programs, including the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. This energy program provides financial assistance with utility bills and heating sources such as wood and propane during the “heating months” (November 1st through June 27th). Assistance under this program is available to applicants only one time per year, but people can apply each year. Eligibility is based on the household’s income. For example, a family of four would be eligible for assistance if their income did not exceed $8,943 for a three-month period. A family consisting of a single person would be eligible if his or her income did not exceed $4,376 during a three-month period. A table listing the amounts for eligibility is posted on CAP’s website Also, assistance may be automatically available if an applicant is currently receiving food stamps.


When funds are available, CAP provides crisis assistance if an applicant is in imminent danger of losing heating, and small children, an elderly individual, or a disabled individual lives in the household. Assistance under this crisis program is available during the year and is not limited to the “heating months.” To seek assistance from CAP, call to Schedule an Appointment (208-255-2910). Walk-ins are discouraged unless it is a true emergency. Applicants must bring certain documents. Visit CAP’s website or call to get a list of the required documents. Both Avista (800-227-9187) and Northern Lights (208-263-5141) also will work with their customers to develop payment plans for utility bills. It is important to immediately notify the companies when a problem with payment arises so that representatives can work with you to develop options.

Utility Assistance by Churches & Other Organizations

Assistance may be considered on a case-by-case basis when funds are available


Salvation Army Voucher Program - Applications accepted Monday and Wednesday 3:30-5:30 PM at Sandpoint Church of the Nazarene at 47954 Highway 95 in Ponderay. May call church office and leave message 263-2562. Will need to provide shut off notice.


Ministerial Assoc. of Bonners Ferry (Boundary County) - Pastor Hinson (208) 597-0504. Call for hours.

Back to Menu

231 N. Third Ave, STE 101 Sandpoint ID 83864 (208) 920-1840   |   ©SCRC   |